As a DuPage County business leader and resident, Dino Gavanes has spent his entire adult life championing life and community in District 1.
A Chicago native, Dino put down roots in Wood Dale in 1977, when he founded his own insurance agency. He moved its offices to Itasca in 1986, where he grew the business—Premier Risk Services, Inc.—to employ more than 30 people by 2010. Now principal of Advisers Group, LLC, Dino offers education and advisement consulting to the insurance industry. He and his wife Melanie reside in Itasca.
He led the development of 127 N. Walnut in Itasca, a building many consider the cornerstone of the community’s downtown. As a local business leader and community resident, Dino is uniquely poised to understand many of the complex issues presented in the DuPage County Board’s committees. He was appointed by Chairman Dan Cronin to the District 1 seat vacated by retiring Paul Fichtner in May 2018 for a term extending through November 30.
Dino brings considerable government relations, financial, and business acumen to his candidacy for the DuPage County Board. With an MBA in finance from DePaul University, Dino keenly understands the financial side of serving on a county board with a $500,000,000 annual budget that administers services to nearly one million county residents annually. Additionally, leadership with the Independent Insurance Agents of America and the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents prepared him for the intricacies of government relations. During his tenure as National Director representing Illinois, Dino provided testimony before Congress and served on the Finance and Government Relations committees.
Dino’s community involvement includes board service for, among others, the Itasca Chamber of Commerce, Addison Township, and the Itasca Police Pension Fund. He is also involved with his local church congregation. Dino holds a bachelor’s degree in engineering from the University of Illinois at Chicago and an MBA in finance from DePaul University. He served in the Illinois Air National Guard from 1969-1979.
County Board Committees
- Economic Development Committee
- Environmental Committee
- Finance Committee
- Public Works Committee
- Stormwater Committee
- Technology Committee
Volunteer and Community Activities
- Itasca Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- University of Illinois Alumni Association Advocacy Committee
- Addison Township Committeeman, Precinct 3, Itasca
- Itasca Police Pension Fund Board Director
- GOA Business Association, past Board of Directors
- St. Haralambos Greek Orthodox Church
- Chapelstreet Church
Professional Association Experience
- Independent Insurance Agents of America, National Director serving on Finance and Government Relations committees
- National Association of Professional Insurance Agents, Past Chairman of the Federal Government Affairs committee
- Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois, Past President and Chairman
- National Alliance for Insurance Education and Research, Chairman, Board of Governors